Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It is Time

“For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.”  Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NLT)
I have always loved this chapter of Ecclesiastes.  When I was growing up, I would actually recite “there is a time to dance” to my mom and dad who, I thought, needed convincing.  Fortunately, I did convince them but I also learned there is a time to dance and a time to say “I’ll sit this one out.” It all depends on who is asking you to dance.
Serving as the Children’s Ministry Director at Salem several years ago, I made some very close friendships which I still cherish today.  These sweet girlfriends would often say “it’s just not my season to…” Often, I wondered what that must be like to say “It’s not my season right now” and to be able to say it with an abundance of peace.  Contrary to my sweet friends, I have always had a dozen plates spinning in the air and, invariably, one of them gets dropped. Sometimes it might be the laundry or my home, all too often it was my husband or family and, ultimately, my intimate relationship with Jesus.
What immediately pops into your head the moment you hear the word “season?”  Understandably, right now most of us would think of the Christmas season.
What does your Christmas season look like?
Is it one you would like to skip this year saying “it’s not my season?”  Perhaps finances, the loss of a loved one or the emptiness of being alone, once again, has silenced your season of Christmas.
Curious about the word meaning of Christmas, I did a little research and found this actual etymology of Christmas:
 *Christmas literally means the Mass (celebration) of Christ. "Christ" is a Greek word and title, meaning "anointed" or one set apart by God for a special purpose. "Christ" is equivalent to the Hebrew word "Messiah." Based on the words of ancient prophets, the first century Jewish people expected the arrival of the Messiah promised by God as a great deliver[er] of the people. (*http://www.jesuscentral.com/ji/lands/christmas.php)
So we celebrate Jesus, our great Deliverer! This season, He is the One asking you to dance.  The music you hear may sound like a train derailing on Main Street at high noon but if you listen close enough, you’ll hear His voice and His music…it is orchestrated and written just for you. Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Prince of Peace, is asking you to dance.  You might be tempted to say “I’ll just sit this one out.” Instead, place your hand in His and let Him lead you through this miraculous season of celebration we call Christmas. It is time.
Prayer: O great God! Thank you for delivering Your anointed One to us.  Jesus, You were, are and always will be, our beautiful Deliverer!  I praise You for being my personal Deliverer, many times over.  I can’t think of anyone I’d rather celebrate than You, Jesus.  This season, despite the many demands and distractions, please help me not to get derailed but to simply take your hand and dance.  –In Jesus’ name, Amen.

6 comments:

  1. I love the way you weave words, sweet Friend. The etymology of Christmas is beyond cool - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Donna! I always thought 'mas' was latin for more and glad I checked it out before declaring that definition. But hey! Who doesn't want or need more of Jesus? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully put Luanne. I am going to go put on my dancing shoes right now! Love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Mary! I'll see you on the dance floor:)) Love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Luanne... God alone knows what this Christmas season is like for me. Your beautiful words have washed over me with a fresh awareness of the intimacy of that fact! He wants me to trust Him and let Him lead! Today I choose to lay down my worries, take His hand, and enjoy dance this Christmas dance! Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I love it when He sends sweet messages to us like that --Oh! How He loves us so!

    Your surrendered heart to Him is so beautiful and, as you follow His lead, the worries of this world will fade. Dance away Laurie!

    Love you bunches, too!

    ReplyDelete